Cooling Centers Open as of July 1, 2013
Various cities have opened cooling centers for people affected by the heat. This list was compiled by King County Office of Emergency Management.
Auburn Senior Center
808 9th St. SE
Monday, July 1 / 9am – 9pm
Cooling centers are open to people of all ages and to properly caged/restrained pets. Some pet cages will be available on-site if needed.
Other places to visit to stay cool are Auburn City Hall, malls, movie theaters, restaurants, and libraries during normal business hours.
More info: www.auburnwa.gov/disaster
The following “drop in” centers are open during normal business hours:
Crossroads Community Center
16000 NE 10th St.
Highland Community Center
14224 Bel-Red Road
North Bellevue Community Center
4063 148th Ave. N.E.
South Bellevue Community Center
14509 SE Newport Way
For drop-in hours at each center, visit www.bellevuewa.gov/community_centers.htm
or call Bellevue Parks & Community Services at 425-452-6885.
Federal Way Community Center
876 S. 333rd St.
Monday, July 1 / 5:30am – 9:30pm
Tuesday, July 2 / 5:30am – 9:30pm
Wednesday, July 3 / 5:30am – 9:30pm
Thursday, July 4 / Closed
Friday, July 5 / 5:30am – 9:30pm
Saturday, July 6 / 7am – 6pm
Sunday, July 7 / 9am – 6pm
Cooling center is open to people of all ages. Unfortunately, no pets will be permitted, with the exception of service animals.
The Senior Center, Kent Commons, and the Library are available during normal business hours.
Renton Senior Activity Center
211 Burnett Avenue N.
Monday, July 1 / 9am – 5pm
Tuesday, July 2 / 9am – 5pm
Renton Community Center
1715 SE Maple Valley Highway
Monday, July 1 / 6am -10pm
Tuesday, July 2 / 6am – 10pm
The following Seattle Public Library locations are equipped with air conditioning, and serve as cooling centers when the area experiences extreme heat. Please call the individual location before you go for open hours and to verify that the air conditioning is working.
- Central Library (1000 4th Ave) – 206-386-4636
- Ballard (5614 22nd Ave NW) – 206-684-4089
- Beacon Hill (2821 Beacon Ave S) – 206-684-4711
- Broadview (12755 Greenwood Ave N) – 206-684-7519
- Capitol Hill (425 Harvard Ave E) – 206-684-4715
- Delridge (5423 Delridge Way SW) – 206-733-9125
- Douglass-Truth (2300 E Yesler Way) – 206-684-4704
- Greenwood (8016 Greenwood Ave N) – 206-684-4086
- High Point (3411 SW Raymond St) – 206-684-7454
- International District / Chinatown (713 8th Ave S) – 206-386-1300
- Lake City (12501 28th Ave NE) – 206-684-7518
- Madrona-Sally Goldmark (1134 33rd Ave) – 206-684-4705
- Magnolia (2801 34th Ave W) – 206-386-4225
- NewHolly (7058 32nd Ave S) – 206-386-1905
- Northgate (10548 5th Ave NE) – 206-386-1980
- Rainier Beach (9125 Rainier Ave S) – 206-386-1906
- South Park (8604 8th Ave S) – 206-615-1688
- Wallingford (1501 N 45th St) – 206-684-4088
Seattle Center (View the campus map - Acrobat PDF)
- Armory Center House (Open until 9 p.m.)
- International Fountain (Open until 9 p.m.)
- Fountain of Creation (Open 24/7)
The following senior centers have air conditioning or are relatively cool and are open to the public:
- Greenwood Senior Center (525 N. 8th Street)
- International Drop-In Center (7301 Beacon Ave S.)
- Pike Market Senior Center and Food Bank (85 Pike St, #200)
- Ballard NW Senior Center (5429 32nd Ave NW)
- Southeast Seattle Senior Center (4655 South Holly St)
- The Senior Center of West Seattle (4217 SW Oregon St)
- South Park Senior Center (8201 10th Ave S)
- Wallingford Community Senior Center (4649 Sunnyside Ave N, Suite 140)
- The Central (500 30th Ave S)
For updates, click here.